MaRS Library Reference check: Sample template
Reference checks comprise an invaluable part of the recruitment, selecting and hiring process and should be conducted with utmost care. The purpose of the reference check is to verify information about the candidate and elicit details related to your requirements. Be prepared with a list of pertinent questions specific to the role. Actively listen to the answers and probe for additional details as necessary. Take notes during the reference check—and use a checklist to keep track of information.
The document below is a sample template to follow when conducting a reference check.
Sample reference check template
See also: Reference authorization: Sample template
- Employee recruitment: Using your professional network to source candidates.
- Social media as a recruitment tool.
- Sourcing candidates: A startup’s guide to hiring and recruiting.
- Rewarding your critical resources: A compensation strategy for startups.
- Resignation of an employee: Sample termination checklist.