MaRS Library Identifying your intellectual property
This workbook helps you identify your intellectual property (IP). It is designed specifically for entrepreneurs starting technology and biotechnology companies.
The task of properly identifying and classifying your IP is not an easy one. However, this guide walks you through the process. When you finish its exercises, you will have a complete list of the IP that is important to your business plan.
Download and use this workbook to:
- Identify all potential sources of your IP (brands, products and services).
- Segment and categorize all elements of your IP.
- Protect your IP.
- Recognize steps to take with IP that is not your own.
MaRS workbooks are comprised of two elements—the workbook guide, which contains instructions, examples and activities, and the workbook template, in which you can write your responses. You can personalize the workbook template by adding your company name and logo.
Identifying your intellectual property
Identifying your intellectual property workbook template
- Canada’s four business structures: Sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation and cooperative.
- Voluntary termination: Sample checklist.
- Biotech and patents: Prior art and freedom-to-operate searches.
- Business ideas: Can you protect them? Copyright, patents and trademarks may protect intellectual property (IP).
- Selecting a PR agency: Tips for entrepreneurs and startups.