MaRS Library Talent for Tech: Recruiting the right people for your tech startup
“Your most important decision will be the first person you hire. Your second-most important decision will be the next person you hire.”
Many startups in the tech industry encounter this all-too-common advice. Founders are told time and time again to treat their talent as an investment, not a commodity, as investors often care more about the founding team than the product itself. Yet startups are daunted by the task of finding, hiring and retaining the right talent for their budding companies. In fact, for many of the web, mobile and software startups here at MaRS, recruiting is the biggest challenge they face today. But wherein lies the issue? Do we have a shortage of developers and designers? Or, with the low cost of starting an Internet-based business, is there simply a surplus of founders?
Download Report:Talent for Tech
- Accounting roles: Bookkeeper, controller and chief financial officer (CFO).
- Going Global Series – Energy Market Insights: Colombia.
- Recruiting: Sample interview questions for job candidates.
- Caring about your employer brand will save you money.
- Tips for recruiting and landing top candidates: Selling and closing are key to your success.