MaRS Library Sample reference authorization from job candidates
Reference checks are an important part of the hiring process. They reveal an objective and relevant perspective of the job candidate that will support or challenge your assessment and/or your decision to make a job offer. The reference check should validate your assessment of the job candidate.
Always get the candidate’s permission to contact each reference, preferably in writing through a reference authorization. This will ensure you do not unknowingly jeopardize a job candidate’s current employment relationship.
The document below is a sample template of a letter to authorize reference checks.
Interview assessment template for scoring a job interview
- Why write a corporate value statement?.
- Designing the right employee incentive programs and bonus plans.
- Startups: Build a strong management team and attract investors.
- Employee benefits: A way for startups to enhance employee compensation.
- Offering employees equity in your startup: Stock options and plans.