MaRS Library Sample reference authorization from job candidates
Reference checks are an important part of the hiring process. They reveal an objective and relevant perspective of the job candidate that will support or challenge your assessment and/or your decision to make a job offer. The reference check should validate your assessment of the job candidate.
Always get the candidate’s permission to contact each reference, preferably in writing through a reference authorization. This will ensure you do not unknowingly jeopardize a job candidate’s current employment relationship.
The document below is a sample template of a letter to authorize reference checks.
Interview assessment template for scoring a job interview
- Establishing governance: A startup guide for new businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Performance management: Employee performance improvement.
- Recruitment and selection for startups: Key steps to hire the best candidate.
- Identifying the right recruiting strategies for your startup.
- Career planning and development: Meeting business and employee needs.