MaRS Library Sample reference authorization from job candidates
Reference checks are an important part of the hiring process. They reveal an objective and relevant perspective of the job candidate that will support or challenge your assessment and/or your decision to make a job offer. The reference check should validate your assessment of the job candidate.
Always get the candidate’s permission to contact each reference, preferably in writing through a reference authorization. This will ensure you do not unknowingly jeopardize a job candidate’s current employment relationship.
The document below is a sample template of a letter to authorize reference checks.
Interview assessment template for scoring a job interview
- Financial statements: Research in Motion (RIM).
- Job evaluation: Tailoring compensable factors for your startup.
- Case study: Craigslist—Product design with customers in mind.
- Employment agreement (sample template): Using employment agreements and job offer letters.
- Allocating stock options for an employee stock option plan (ESOP).