MaRS Library Going Global Series – Energy Market Insights: Mexico
This is the first instalment of the Going Global Series on international energy markets – published by the Advanced Energy Centre at MaRS Discovery District.
The Going Global report series provides a 360-degree view of the energy system in international priority markets for export-ready Canadian energy companies. The current report is focused on Mexico. The Mexican energy reform, initiated in 2013, is changing the landscape of the energy market in Mexico. Post reform, the structure of the market, has completely altered, from being a monopolistic system to one with with more private sector involvement, thus generating opportunities for private and foreign actors.
Hence, the report addresses considerations and is meant to help Canadian companies answer the following key questions:
- Are our Canadian capabilities a good fit for the market?
- What are the opportunities and barriers to doing business, and do the former outweigh the latter?
In this report you will find:
- A discussion of the energy reform and the electricity market structure post reform
- An overview of the government authorities involved in the implementation and development of the electricity market
- Panorama of electricity sector in Mexico (energy mix, main consumers, demand growth)
- Discussions on security and quality of supply, business environment, environmental sustainability commitments
- Opportunities in generation, transmission and distribution
- Challenges and barriers expected in the market